Tonight at the 2012 NBA Draft, Kentucky forward Anthony Davis will become the 17th player to be drafted first overall after winning the Naismith College Player of the Year award. Here is the complete list. The only school that appears more than once is UCLA (2).
- Blake Griffin, Oklahoma (2009)
- Andrew Bogut, Utah (2005)
- Kenyon Martin, Cincinnati (2000)
- Elton Brand, Duke (1999)
- Timmy, Wake Forrest (1997)
- Joe Smith, Maryland (1995)
- Glenn Robinson, Purdue (1994)
- Danny Manning, Kansas (1988)
- David Robinson, Navy (1987)
- Patrick Ewing, Georgetown, (1985)
- Ralph Sampson, Virginia (1983)
- Mark Aguirre, DePaul (1980)
- David Thompson, NC State (1975)
- Bill Walton, UCLA (1972)
- Austin Carr, Notre Dame (1971)
- Lew Alcindor (Kareem Abdul Jabbar), UCLA, (1969)
To commemorate the life (and death) of Michael Jackson, I offer you a picture quiz on some other famous Jacksons. The answers can be found here, along with some more Jackson trivia.
People always ask me where I get my ideas for trivia. In this case, I was inspired by [aka blatantly stole] the idea from the great Jay Ray Trivia (with permission of course).
Are there any glaring omissions? Rock with me in the comments.
Today mark’s the third anniversary of the Michael Jackson’s death. If you remind someone of this, they probably won’t respond with their favorite MJ tune, or their most memorable moment from the King of Pop’s life. No, no. Instead they will most likely tell you where they were and what they were doing when they heard that Michael Jackson had died.This will most likely be a very boring story to the listener. [Hint: it will probably have something to do with the ‘Twitter’].
But do you know what’s not boring? Trivia.
The answers are below General Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson. Also make sure to check out the accompanying “Name That Jackson!” Picture Round.
- (Movies) First appearing in Iron Man 2 and again in the 2011 summer blockbuster Captain America, Samuel L. Jackson played the role of what comic book character in the recent Avengers film.
- (Television) The opening sketch of Saturday Night Live’s only remote episode took place in Jackson Square in this city on February 20, 1977.
- (US History) Confederate general Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson earned his nickname for standing his ground at this Civil War Battle.
- (Sports) What former Washington Redskin was quarterback for the Jacksonville Jaguars in their 1995 inaugural season and was selected to the Pro-Bowl a total of three times with the team.
- (Famous Figures) Michael Jackson was the youngest member of the Jackson 5, who was the oldest? a)Jermaine b)Jackie c)Tito d)Marlon
(Nick Fury)(New Orleans)(The First Battle of Bull Run or Battle of Manassas)(Mark Brunell)(Jackie)
Name That Jackson! Picture round answers:
(Paris Jackson)(Jackson Pollack)(Bo Jackson)(Phil Jackson)(Curtis Jackson)(Peter Jackson)(Reggie Jackson)(Jackson Avery)(Percy Jackson)(Action Jackson)
Damn it’s hot out today! Here are the 15 best songs that have “hot” or “heat” in the title. So actually, the title of this post is sort of misleading. I guess technically songs that “beat the heat” would be something like “Cold as Ice” by Foreigner or……. “Gangsta’s Paradise” by Coolio?
Whatevs. It also fits nicely with my Thunder Trivia and my desire to see the Oklahoma City Thunder beat the Miami Heat tonight and stay alive in the NBA finals.
Did I miss any? Drop it like it’s hot in the comments.
- Heat is On by Glenn Frey (1985)
- This is why I’m Hot by Mims (2007)
- Drop it like it’s Hot by Snoop Dogg feat. Pharrell (2004)
- Heat of the Moment by Asia (1982)
- Hot for Teacher by Van Halen (1984)
- Here Comes the Hotstepper by Ini Kimozi (1994)
- White Light, White Heat by the Velvet Underground (1968)
- (Love Is Like a) Heat Wave by Martha and the Vandellas (1963)
- Hot Stuff by Donna Summer (1979)
- Hot Fun in the Summertime by Sly and The Family Stone (1969)
- Hot in Herre by Nelly (2002)
- Hot n Cold by Katy Perry (2008)
- Hot Child in the City by Nick Gilder (1978)
- Hotter Than Hell by KISS (1974)
- Canned Heat by Jamiroquai (1999)
Yes, that last song was on the soundtrack to Center Stage.
When the Stanley Cup finals were going on, and the Devils were one game away from losing it all, I brought you Movie Devils vs. Movie Kings. Now, it’s the Thunder’s turn to stave off elimination in the NBA finals. And so, in true SayKNOWtoTrivia fashion, here are 5 trivia questions about thunder (UPDATE: You can also check out “15 songs to Beat the Heat”). Answers are below Zeus.
- (Word Play) What dinosaur takes its name from the Greek for “thunder lizard”?
- (Mythology) In Greek mythology, Zeus released these mythological creatures from the dark pit of Tartarus, in order to provide him with his thunderbolts, which he used to defeat the Titans.
- (Geography) The city of Thunder Bay, located at the head of Lake Superior, can be found in what Canadian province?
- (Movies) What Hollywood couple met on the set of the 1990 film Days of Thunder?
- (Literature) Who wrote the science fiction short story A Sound of Thunder, in which a hunter travels back in time to kill a Tyrannosaurus Rex, and is based on the concept that was later termed the “butterfly effect”.
(Brontosaurus)(Cyclops)(Ontario)(Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman)(Ray Bradbury)
Apparently Jayson Stark took a day off from Tuesday Trivia on Mike & Mike this morning. We will hopefully return to our regularly scheduled program next week. But in the mean time, take a look at the archives.
You can also check out Stark’s recent blog post about 5 Astounding Facts, including Votto hitting like Ruth, and the absurdity of Gregor Blanco’s perfect game saving catch in right field:
“There have been 32 fly balls hit — anywhere in baseball — since 2010, with that approximate hang time, to that approximate location on the field. Blanco was the first right fielder to catch any of them. And of the 13 balls hit in San Francisco to within 25 feet of that spot with that approximate hang time, five turned into triples, five more were doubles and only two were caught — both by the center fielder. Holy schmoly.”
See you back next week!
It’s Father’s Day tomorrow. Why not challenge your dad in a name-that-movie-dad quiz?! Just name the movies based on these big poppas. (if you their actual names, tell me in the comments). Winner gets a gift card to Applebee’s. Good luck! Answers can be found in Part I of SayKnowtoTrivia’s Father’s Day trivia.